Photo
- - - - -

Pushing For Some Mod Stuff To Be Made Official

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Pushing For Some Mod Stuff To Be Made Official

Should these features be part of the base game?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 daemonnnn

daemonnnn

Level 9

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:38 PM

So after seeing the stream and hearing the support made to modding (grats MH!) I was hoping some things would officially be added for the game without the need of a mod. And these are:

-Placeable bosses (we shouldn't need a mod for that)

-Scaling removed (as an option)

-Prodigy's spell tree (It's the wizard overhaul I always wanted!)

-Full Faerun map for mods (The campaign could keep the same map but we as mod builders should see a full world map)

Appart from that I still push for stacking to go away (but that's not part of the poll)

So, what do you guys think?

Btw, I'm just pointing it out because I think these things are basic and important. 

Edited by daemonnnn, 12 November 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#2 Kaaz

Kaaz

Level 2

• DM Badge
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:43 PM

i think options are always good, with them as mods the option is there to get them if they tailor to you more than the base game so generally i don't think mods should be included in the base game - just make them easy to access and enable in your game and its fine imo.

• draconusx, Perkele and ancientdeity like this

#3 draconusx

draconusx

Forum Moderator

• Belaphoss Badge
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationCavern of Daymares

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

I agree with Kaaz. Having things added to the game as options (in this case mods whether community created or official mods) is likely the best way to allow for as many different types of game play as possible, just like PnP with optional or 'in-house' rules.

• Sarr and Perkele like this

#4 daemonnnn

daemonnnn

Level 9

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

But don't you guys think this will limit who you'll play with?

#5 Mad.Hatter

Mad.Hatter

Level 10

• DM Badge with Upgrade
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:51 PM

most mods should work dm client side unless they changed how it works with the mod folder. all the stats/game info gets read by the host machine.

#6 draconusx

draconusx

Forum Moderator

• Belaphoss Badge
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:58 PM

Not really...well maybe. I guess if they are playing in a way that I wouldn't enjoy then in that case I guess maybe.  For example I know that there are many folks that might want to play the game turn-based, I am not one of them and if I joined a game and it paused after every action (or each round) that just wouldn't be enjoyable for me, but if they enjoy playing that way then I wouldn't want to keep them from doing it.  But I think that only applies for certain types of things.  I can see your point, but I think if you force certain things on the community you end up with resentment, but if you add options for the variety of different subgroups of the community to play the game how they'd like you get more praise and a more enjoyable experience for a majority of your player base.  But yes it could fracture the player base a little, but I think that will likely happen anyway especially with Live DMs wanting to run games with certain mods enabled to create a specific type of experience that will target the type of players they want to DM for.

• Perkele and mocroi like this

#7 daemonnnn

daemonnnn

Level 9

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

most mods should work dm client side unless they changed how it works with the mod folder. all the stats/game info gets read by the host machine.

So, by having the mod installed, everyone would play by MY rules?

#8 Mad.Hatter

Mad.Hatter

Level 10

• DM Badge with Upgrade
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

that's how it's worked in my tests up to this point.

#9 daemonnnn

daemonnnn

Level 9

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

Not really...well maybe. I guess if they are playing in a way that I wouldn't enjoy then in that case I guess maybe.  For example I know that there are many folks that might want to play the game turn-based, I am not one of them and if I joined a game and it paused after every action (or each round) that just wouldn't be enjoyable for me, but if they enjoy playing that way then I wouldn't want to keep them from doing it.  But I think that only applies for certain types of things.  I can see your point, but I think if you force certain things on the community you end up with resentment, but if you add options for the variety of different subgroups of the community to play the game how they'd like you get more praise and a more enjoyable experience for a majority of your player base.  But yes it could fracture the player base a little, but I think that will likely happen anyway especially with Live DMs wanting to run games with certain mods enabled to create a specific type of experience that will target the type of players they want to DM for.

Yeah but I mean, the changes I wanted aren't really things i think people would back down on, either. I mean, Placeable bosses? I don't think ANYONE would complain about vanilla game having placeable bosses. Or having a full Faerun world map when making modules.

Granted Prodigy's spell tree overhaul might be something you could not want maybe (dunno why though xDDD) but the other stuff?

that's how it's worked in my tests up to this point.

Excellent to know!! I'm super hyped to see what SCLN comes up with next! Right now I have my eyes into prodigy's stuff mostly xDDD

#10 Mad.Hatter

Mad.Hatter

Level 10

• DM Badge with Upgrade
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:09 PM

Right now I have my eyes into prodigy's stuff mostly xDDD

Not going to lie, I'm more excited to see what the non spell caster classes look like!

#11 draconusx

draconusx

Forum Moderator

• Belaphoss Badge
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:26 PM

Yeah but I mean, the changes I wanted aren't really things i think people would back down on, either. I mean, Placeable bosses? I don't think ANYONE would complain about vanilla game having placeable bosses. Or having a full Faerun world map when making modules.

Granted Prodigy's spell tree overhaul might be something you could not want maybe (dunno why though xDDD) but the other stuff?

Oh I agree with those things and I do think you're right that most folks would also want that ;)  I was trying to answer to the aspect of things being added options rather than changes forced and how that could affect the player base.  But just for the few things you posed earlier I think that most if not all would agree and want those too.  (And I just looked at the poll as it stands now and it is 10 - 4 in favor so there are those that don't think they should be forced changes ;) )

#12 Mickem2011

Mickem2011

Level 1

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:30 PM

But don't you guys think this will limit who you'll play with?

If all those changes are made official it won't matter. Everybody will have them.

#13 Spunkn

Spunkn

Level 6

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:35 PM

I don't mind stuff being added to the game officially as long as there are option boxes

So people can turn stuff on / off easily.  Basically instead of having to move files around, all you would have to do is check boxes for scaling, classes, etc

I'd love to see some stuff incorporated that way, but as far as making it an actual part of the base game I don't necessarily agree with

• draconusx and Ghatt like this

#14 draconusx

draconusx

Forum Moderator

• Belaphoss Badge
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

Yep, exactly ^^^

#15 daemonnnn

daemonnnn

Level 9

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:55 AM

Glad to see everyone (who read the OP) agrees with me! :D Hear us out N-Space!!

#16 Hethwill_Khan

Hethwill_Khan

Level 4

• DM Badge
  • 412 posts
  • LocationLusitania

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:25 AM

It is way more interesting to work on DM options than character options.

A full DM mod could still run fine on the host machine without having to be deployed on the characters players machines.

#17 daemonnnn

daemonnnn

Level 9

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

It is way more interesting to work on DM options than character options.

A full DM mod could still run fine on the host machine without having to be deployed on the characters players machines.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean with this comment xDDD

#18 Hethwill_Khan

Hethwill_Khan

Level 4

• DM Badge
  • 412 posts
  • LocationLusitania

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:15 AM

I mean a DM only orientated mod.

That way the DM can run it with the changes without the players having to download it -yes that is the shortcoming of the mods.

And I do not see JSME working for SCL for mod swapping...

As I see it it is more important at this moment to focus on DM powers than the characters powers and if they might be made official then by all means do give DMs the options to turn on/off a multitude of options.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan, 13 November 2015 - 09:16 AM.

#19 daemonnnn

daemonnnn

Level 9

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

Bumping this for relevance! :D Want more answers people! Specially from those against it!

• erf_beto likes this

#20 Khellendross

Khellendross

Level 5

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:55 PM

So after seeing the stream and hearing the support made to modding (grats MH!) I was hoping some things would officially be added for the game without the need of a mod. And these are:

-Full Faerun map for mods (The campaign could keep the same map but we as mod builders should see a full world map)

Appart from that I still push for stacking to go away (but that's not part of the poll)

So, what do you guys think?

Btw, I'm just pointing it out because I think these things are basic and important. 

Some of these things I don't get either. Tim said on the stream that he made a mod that allowed him to place Rhylfang. So why the heck couldn't they add that to the base game? I understand some things like pure 5e rules should be optional. So from the list above.

Definitely. This should be part of the game, no question.

As an option I agree. I see no downside to making this part of the actual game. 

This one, I think should remain a mod. While I personally want to use that, some people may not want the setup Prodigy developed. 

So much yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users