https://www.engadget...ced-edition-pc/

#2 Mad.Hatter

Mad.Hatter

Level 10

• DM Badge with Upgrade
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

I watched the livestream for this. Very positive stuff.

#3 Cork

Cork

Commoner

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

I"m not familiar with neverwinter nights. Is it like the baldur's gate games? Turn based and single player? Or something different.

#4 Mad.Hatter

Mad.Hatter

Level 10

• DM Badge with Upgrade
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

I"m not familiar with neverwinter nights. Is it like the baldur's gate games? Turn based and single player? Or something different.

Neverwinter Nights is a multi-faceted RPG. It has single player campaigns and modules. It can be played multiplayer. It has a Dungeon Master mode. You can host your own server (which can span from small co-op games to massive MMO style worlds). Even if you're just a single player afficionado who loves D&D, the community has several thousand hours of user created modules available here: www.neverwintervault.org

Most importantly (i.e. the reason the game still has a following after 15 years), it gives you the powerful Aurora toolset which allows you to create your own D&D game--or, with enough know how, massively revise the game to function more/less like D&D to your tastes. It has its own scripting language NWScript to allow designers to create almost anything their imagination can come up with.

The enhanced edition is important for a number of reasons:

1. There are bug fixes and quality of life improvements.

2. The source code is being actively worked on and extended, allowing 15 years of community hindsight to improve the game directly, rather than as mods.

3. The graphics engine is being updated to more modern tech. While the 15 year old models and textures don't look that impressive (several people complaining that all Beamdog has added are some filters), the possibility exists for higher poly models, higher resolution textures, and more advanced shader based rendering. The game will likely never look as good as SCL (because of amateur modders doing the work rather than funded art), but there could be absolutely massive gains to bring the game up to a more contemporary standard.

• RAM021 and Cork like this

#5 GeneralKong

GeneralKong

Level 2

• DM Badge
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

I would have loved to see it brought up to the graphical quality (with character models atleast) to NWN2s level

But its best to be happy that we are getting something despite 15 years (I feel old)

#6 Mad.Hatter

Mad.Hatter

Level 10

• DM Badge with Upgrade
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

The graphics engine is being updated to more modern tech. While the 15 year old models and textures don't look that impressive (several people complaining that all Beamdog has added are some filters), the possibility exists for higher poly models, higher resolution textures, and more advanced shader based rendering. The game will likely never look as good as SCL (because of amateur modders doing the work rather than funded art), but there could be absolutely massive gains to bring the game up to a more contemporary standard.

GeneralKong, what you are talking about should be entirely possible once they are done revamping the graphics engine. Trent Oster mentioned that it simply wasn't feasible for them to do the art assets themselves due to it being prohibitively expensive.

What you should start to see are Project Q style enhancements at higher poly counts and higher texture resolutions without the engine crapping out like it currently does.

#7 GeneralKong

GeneralKong

Level 2

• DM Badge
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

GeneralKong, what you are talking about should be entirely possible once they are done revamping the graphics engine. Trent Oster mentioned that it simply wasn't feasible for them to do the art assets themselves due to it being prohibitively expensive.

What you should start to see are Project Q style enhancements at higher poly counts and higher texture resolutions without the engine crapping out like it currently does.

True, lets hope that will be the case, I have always been more NWN2 than a NWN1 kinda guy (when it comes to the main story) but liked NWN1 for the more powerful community tools

#8 Mad.Hatter

Mad.Hatter

Level 10

• DM Badge with Upgrade
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:42 PM

Here's a screenshot from NWN:EE. This is BEFORE they make the game 64-bit, add normal/specular mapping, or support higher poly/res. Modders could go buck wild with shaders.uwu7s7tpi9wt.jpg

#9 Zapgun

Zapgun

Level 1

• DM Badge
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

Great news Hatter.. looking forward to more fun times RPing with you!

#10 Cdawg

Cdawg

Level 4

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

I, of course, will get this, as I have all things Neverwinter, since 1991 on America Online :\

• RAM021 likes this

#11 TymeSage

TymeSage

Commoner

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

I love everything NWN and just have to try it... :)

#12 LeslieWest_GuitarGod

LeslieWest_GuitarGod

Level 8

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:57 AM

Very interesting.

I played ALL the SSI Gold Box games in a Commodore 64, 128, and Amiga such as Pool of Radiance, Dark Queen of Krynn, Curse of Asure Bonds for years in the 80s BEFORE AOL's Neverwinter Nights.  NWN was based on the Gold Box games.

Edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod, 09 December 2017 - 04:00 AM.

#13 Cdawg

Cdawg

Level 4

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

Same here, but Neverwinter Nights only showed up in the 90s.

#14 Cork

Cork

Commoner

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

I never played Neverwinter Nights. I played the baldur's gate games and Temple of elemental evil. How does it compare to those. Especially TOEE.

#15 Kreivi

Kreivi

Commoner

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

I never played Neverwinter Nights. I played the baldur's gate games and Temple of elemental evil. How does it compare to those. Especially TOEE.

NWN campaign was not so great really, graphic either. But DM tool and modding made that game really good. Story is kind of boring (specially if you think Baldur's Gate) but there were literally hundrends of persistent worlds made by modders and many, many modules to play. That was real reason for many people to buy that game and play it so many years.

• Cork likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users