Photo
- - - - -

What Other Settings Would You Like To See Wotc Revive For 5Th Edition?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 draconusx

draconusx

Forum Moderator

• Belaphoss Badge
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCavern of Daymares

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

Ravenloft was fun to play in, especially as an evil character.  I was always a huge fan of FR and Dragon Lance and would love to see DL make a resurgence.  I think there is a lot of great story material and potential in that setting.  I never really got into Dark Sun much but I did like the introduction of Half-dwarves and Bards as assassins.  I never did much with Greyhawk but I remember reading a couple of novels based in that world and the stories were an enjoyable read but from what little I knew about that world I couldn't say what would be significant enough to set it apart from any other fantasy universe. 

What are your thoughts?

• rocksam23 likes this

#2 rocksam23

rocksam23

Commoner

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:21 PM

I REALLY, REALLY want to see more stuff set in the Planes, as in "Planescape". We had the old Planescape: Torment game, and that was great. What I would like to see is an official Planescape campaign using the 5E ruleset, a la the old Planeswalker Handbook from 2E ( see here: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing ). The whole setting, with the city of Sigil as the "adventure hub", is just so great. But sadly, there's not been a lot of adventures set in that setting. We also had the Manual of the Planes in 3.5E.

All they would have to, really, is adapt the 2E Planeswalker Handbook or the 3.5E Manual of the Planes for 5E, adding all the new changes in 5E (such as the World Axis Cosmology: http://forgottenreal..._Axis_cosmology and the changed deities) and adjusting the old "kits" and/or "prestige classes" to be new class archetypes. Then, they would need to create an adventure or three or six (hehe, I'm getting greedy) utilizing the (new) 5E version of the Planeswalker Handbook or Manual of the Planes.

Edited by rocksam23, 05 May 2016 - 12:32 PM.

• draconusx likes this

#3 [DE]Drew

[DE]Drew

Thread Warlock

• DM Badge with Upgrade
  • 88 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Stars

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

I REALLY, REALLY want to see more stuff set in the Planes, as in "Planescape". We had the old Planescape: Torment game, and that was great. What I would like to see is an official Planescape campaign using the 5E ruleset, a la the old Planeswalker Handbook from 2E ( see here: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing ). The whole setting, with the city of Sigil as the "adventure hub", is just so great. But sadly, there's not been a lot of adventures set in that setting. We also had the Manual of the Planes in 3.5E.

I'd love a planescape splat book or campaign setting. The first long-term 5th campaign that I ran jumped around a few planes. 

#4 rocksam23

rocksam23

Commoner

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:40 PM

I'd love a planescape splat book or campaign setting. The first long-term 5th campaign that I ran jumped around a few planes. 

Homebrew campaign?

#5 [DE]Drew

[DE]Drew

Thread Warlock

• DM Badge with Upgrade
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:30 PM

Homebrew campaign?

Yeah, in Faerun, but I rarely use premades. 

#6 rocksam23

rocksam23

Commoner

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

Yeah, in Faerun, but I rarely use premades. 

I'd honestly be interested to hear more, if you're willing to share. PM me please?

#7 ll1973

ll1973

Commoner

• DM Badge
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:47 PM

I'd like to see Eberron next and then Planescape.

#8 CommodoreRock

CommodoreRock

Commoner

• DM Badge
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

What about the Known World which later became known as Mystara?  Airships, Isle of Dread, Emirates of Ylarium, Principalities of Glantri, Black Eagle Barony and Grand Duchy of Karameikos.  Castle Amber, Horror on the Hill, The Lost City.

I'd also second the vote for Dragonlance.  I didn't play it, but it was out around the same time as Mystara but for AD&D.

• Growaidun likes this

#9 1stRune

1stRune

Level 1

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

Dark Sun

• Ghatt likes this

#10 [DE]Drew

[DE]Drew

Thread Warlock

• DM Badge with Upgrade
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:09 AM

I'd honestly be interested to hear more, if you're willing to share. PM me please?

It started with new players, so we had a simple plot in the beginning: pending war, army growing, and the PCs getting caught in it. Then, we wanted to do Mines of Phandelver, so we worked into that and played through it. After, one of the villains from the premade had survived and went on to cause further havoc for the PCs. They were accused of murdering some of the NPCs from Phandelver, and they went on a quest to clear their names. During which, they accidentally stepped through a shadow portal into Shadowfell. They didn't know where they were or what was going on for a while, but they weren't too happy to be there (the shadowfell rules in the DMG are great fun). They all sort of became corrupted in one way or another before they made a deal with a Vampire Lord to secure their exit from the plane. Part of the deal was that they had to go to another plane to help defeat one of the Vampire Lord's rivals. The other plane was my own variant of Dark Sun - the players weren't too happy about being there either  :) One of the PCs had died back in Shadowfell, so his body was traded to some Thri-kreen for water. After travelling through a slave city and lots of sand, they finally completed their objective. The goodly cleric in the group had acquired an evil tome that held secrets to planar travel, which he was finally able to understand and complete the ritual needed to get them back to Faerun. However, they arrived back in the jungles of Chult. After some more wandering, they secured passage on a ship to get back. On their return, they discovered that the pending war from so long ago was already lost, and they had a villain to overthrow.

in total, the players went from the Sword Coast, to Shadowfell, to Dark Sun, to Chult, over the ocean, and finally back to the Sword Coast. 

• gqwebb and Ghatt like this

#11 rocksam23

rocksam23

Commoner

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

That's awesome!

#12 Ghatt

Ghatt

Level 10

• DM Badge
  • 1,013 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:02 AM

It started with new players, so we had a simple plot in the beginning: pending war, army growing, and the PCs getting caught in it. Then, we wanted to do Mines of Phandelver, so we worked into that and played through it. After, one of the villains from the premade had survived and went on to cause further havoc for the PCs. They were accused of murdering some of the NPCs from Phandelver, and they went on a quest to clear their names. During which, they accidentally stepped through a shadow portal into Shadowfell. They didn't know where they were or what was going on for a while, but they weren't too happy to be there (the shadowfell rules in the DMG are great fun). They all sort of became corrupted in one way or another before they made a deal with a Vampire Lord to secure their exit from the plane. Part of the deal was that they had to go to another plane to help defeat one of the Vampire Lord's rivals. The other plane was my own variant of Dark Sun - the players weren't too happy about being there either  :) One of the PCs had died back in Shadowfell, so his body was traded to some Thri-kreen for water. After travelling through a slave city and lots of sand, they finally completed their objective. The goodly cleric in the group had acquired an evil tome that held secrets to planar travel, which he was finally able to understand and complete the ritual needed to get them back to Faerun. However, they arrived back in the jungles of Chult. After some more wandering, they secured passage on a ship to get back. On their return, they discovered that the pending war from so long ago was already lost, and they had a villain to overthrow.

in total, the players went from the Sword Coast, to Shadowfell, to Dark Sun, to Chult, over the ocean, and finally back to the Sword Coast. 

Sounds fun.

#13 Muttley

Muttley

Level 1

• DM Badge
  • 196 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

I'd love to see a proper CRPG (with MP, DM, toolset etc) for Eberron

• ll1973 likes this

#14 ll1973

ll1973

Commoner

• DM Badge
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

I'd love to see a proper CRPG (with MP, DM, toolset etc) for Eberron

I second that motion!

• Muttley likes this

#15 doctor_atomic

doctor_atomic

Level 7

• Hero Badge
  • 766 posts
  • LocationL.A. CA

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:24 PM

Al Qadim and Spelljammer.

#16 Kendaric

Kendaric

Level 6

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationWuppertal, Germany

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:53 AM

What I'd like to see are actual setting books instead of just specific campaigns. Curse of Strahd was nice, but ultimately I hope for something akin to what they did with 3.x Ravenloft.

Apart from a Ravenloft overhaul, I want Al-Qadim, Greyhawk and Planescape.

#17 gqwebb

gqwebb

Commoner

• DM Badge
  • 78 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:49 AM

for me in order, Icewindale, dark sun, dragonlance.

#18 Amphieuss

Amphieuss

Level 9

• DM Badge
  • 922 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

Spelljammer without a doubt ...

Nothing beats minflayers and their awesome ships

#19 Ghatt

Ghatt

Level 10

• DM Badge
  • 1,013 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:39 AM

Icewindale.

That would be Faerun, more specifically the Northern Sword Coast, no?

#20 Amphieuss

Amphieuss

Level 9

• DM Badge
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

That would be Faerun, more specifically the Northern Sword Coast, no?

Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users